Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Day of Travel

So this morning after getting little to no sleep, I woke up and traveled from good ole' NJ out to San Francisco. For most people travel can be a bit of a hassle. I mean, getting up, packing, getting to the airport on time, and the shiz like that. It's all good and fun. Yet sometimes we have that awkward stage of security and the new screenings and stuff. I mean who really wants to have to go through the extra screening if you get picked and stuff. It is not fun or can be embarrassing at times.
Yet at the end of the day, it is only a chance and most likely we can avoid this stuff. Enter the word of being a person with type-1 diabetes and decided to travel anywhere. Yesterday, Saturday I posted pictures of my bed that had all of my supplies spread out for travel. I had two piles for a 5 day trip. I had to go in my suitcase 3 site changes just in case. I really only needed two, but didn't want to chance it so I have three in my suitcase. There was also for my carry on my emergency replacement site kit just in case, you know the suitcase was lost. (thankfully not). So I had to pack all that extra and worry about losing stuff just in case. Oh and of course the replacement Dexcom sensor for if this one dies. All of this before I left the house. Sigh. And we all know where this story leads don't we?
Well since I was talking about security check points... Yeah we have my visit through security. Since getting both and insulin pump and CGM, I have become used to the inevitable fact that no matter what I do, I will always set off the security alarm. I did not have to worry about a full body scanner though. So I wander up to security. I take everything but my clothes and pump off and wander up to the security. I even remember to take the metal clip off of blue. WOOO! And what happens next. You got it, BEEEEP. "Sir step back please." Beeep. "Do you have anything metal on you, belt, change in pocket?" No that is just my insulin pump. "Oh, no problem. Male assist." 5 minutes later I am on my way. But it all worked out in the end. It was one of my nicest pat downs yet. I know sounds weird to be saying.
I was happy though. I made it through security in plenty of time, got to sit on a plane for like ever, and played the BS roller coaster game. But at the end of the day. I am in California and can relax and sleep. My room is tiny. Like big enough for a double bed, a closet that can barely hold my suitcase and my bathroom. Oh well. It's all good though. I am going to have fun and not have to worry about any work stuff. :-p
Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment