Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Health Activist's Writers Month Challenge: DAY 1 Time Capsule

So apparently in a fit of wisdom, stupidity, weakness, I decided what the hell my blog has been stagnant on ideas for a little while, why not do this? I was emailed about it, so it must be good. And hell it is only 30 days of writing and posts. I mean in the past year for my blogs anniversary, I managed to come up with 100 some odd posts. This should be easy. Yes, 100 plus posts over 365 days. Now I need to come up with 30 posts in 30 days. Thank God they have given me prompts though or I would be screwed.

Today's Prompt:
Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it? 

So my focus is cheese... no wait that's my obsession. My focus being Type 1 Diabetes. 

So what would I put in my time capsule? Hmm... That is easy. Really, really easy. 

The obvious:



 The insulin pump, the CGM, the glucose tabs, the meter, strips, and in this case non-blunt lancet. The normal swag that is my life of diabetes. Granted my pump and CGM would not be the ones that are keeping me alive. hopefully, they would be dummy models or manuals and pictures, since I kinda sorta need that stuff to live. 


The not so obvious:
unicorns, bacon, cupcakes.


The ridiculous:
cheese, picture of Kevin Bacon... I mean bacon.


Also, I would include "hope" for a cure and my own story up to this point. My hopes, my dreams for a cure. 


Yet at the same time I would include my own desires that a cure has come about. I am sure by this point in the future a cure has come about. Yet at the same time, if one has not.... Well that just would sadden me. I am not going to dwell on that eventuality though. That is not my style. I know that things have gotten better since than. Heck in the past 16 years of my living with D things have gotten so much better. Even now the eventuality of a cure has improved hugely not the time frame of 5 years I was originally told, promised, lied to about, but I am sure it has happened. 


That being the case the second part would make sense to me. What would people think? Well obviously the tech is dated. The disease is long dead. There would be confusion about this disease. What is/was it? How could it have been any worse than #### that we face now? Well honestly, it isn't. For each of us now how can we relate to cancer, bulimia, heart attacks, gluten allergies? Anything else we are not familiar with? Well hopefully with sympathy/empathy. With a glimmer of understanding and non-judgment. 


As I write this today, I realize I do not know enough about any challenges out there that others face. Because, well I did not have to face them. Yet, for me that is fine. I know I do not know enough about what is out there, because I am just as ignorant as others are about me. So who knows what these future dwellers will actually be seeing or facing? Not me. 


What I hope to truly have people see in my time capsule is that while yes I have faced challenges, I have faced them as positively as I can and endured. Just as anyone else who has challenges in their lives will have done. That is my hope for my time capsule. Will I include other things? Heck yeah. But currently I can't think of what each of these objects will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment