Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Health Writers Activists Month Day 4: I write about my health because

Today's prompt was in my mind a very simple prompt. Yet at the same time one that can either be limitless or limited. The prompt:

I write about my health because... Reflect on why you write about your health for 15-20 minutes without stopping. 

So Brian, why do you blog about your health and life as a person with type 1 diabetes?? 

"Well, Brian, that is a very loaded question. The easy answer is because I feel that there is a story that needs to be told. Not necessarily my story, as I don't go into all of the nitty gritty details of my life. My complaints or such. Do I have complaints? Well, duh. But that isn't what my goal is here. Sometimes, yes I want to rail against life, the unfairness of it all, and say life is bogus, and I don't give a flying fructose about these things. Yet there is something else, if you find the #doc aka the Diabetes Online Community, you realize that you are not the only person out there. There are others who have hit the problems you have hit, maybe the same issues, maybe not, but heck it's close enough. That is why I write. There are so many inspirations out there, Kerri, Kim, Sara, Jess, C, .... the list goes on and on. We all do different things in our writing, but we all do it not for our own self promotion or to win awards or get loads of money (well I don't think so), but to help others to know 'hey I've had the problem and you know what you can do this.' Alright, I think I am done with the promotion of others, once I collect my royalty checks from them I can continue...

I am of course kidding. These people I mentioned all came into my life at various points, when I was lost. While I did not know some of them as bloggers but online buddies. They were that source of inspiration to continue on. To look past the unfairness of life and know there will be an answer at some point in my life. I HATE WAITING!!!!"

So Brian, what you are telling me is that you write because they made you write??

"Uhh... no. Why would you ask something as stupid as that? I write because of them, they inspired me. Kim is hysterical and her work is what really got me thinking about starting my blog. I mean, I may not be as awesome as Kim sometimes, I figured my own brand of humor would help me find a niche in the blogging world. From Kim, I found Kerri and Sara and C (well her I knew but than she blogged too) and Jess as well. I found these awesome people out there. It made me realize that back when I was in my denial phase, the entire no test and just give enough insulin and hope I don't die phase things might have been different. The acceptance of my illness might have been a little easier on me, instead of the denial or stupid choices I was making. They gave me answers to things that I was to stupid to think about or ask. It made me realize, that well maybe I should be helping people out as well. If someone happens to be facing the problems I am or has the same questions I do/did, maybe I too can help them. I guess maybe they did make me write my blog, but they aren't forcing my hand to do it, it's a joy."

Alright, Brian you seem to be quite convincing about why you are doing this. Any last words for our audience?

"Audience?? Really you have no audience, this is a fake interview in your head."

Yeah, so what shut up and write....

"Fine, fine. The thing is for me the joy in writing is the journey it takes to get there. Sometimes, when I begin I have no clue as to where I am going to go with the Blog. Yet it takes me to an answer that I have been seeking. Sometimes, my blogs go weird. Plain and simple. Don't believe me, scan the history and titles of the blogs, I am nuts and well I do most of my writing for my own chips and pringles anyway. So yeah. The self discovery is amazing. But also, just being able to hopefully offer something that helps somebody in need. That is what matters."

Well Brian thank you for your time, I appreciate it. Now you can stop talking to yourself and maybe stop getting those weird looks from other people in the office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment